Monday, October 29, 2012

Welcome back! Food for fuel? Food for thought? Or a ‘fat tax’

Ok, so it has been quite some time since I posted on this blog. It’s been quite a journey since my last entry. This blog had always been about facing life as a post weight-loss success. But this time my motivations are a little different. It about achieving a better lifestyle and better all around health. I am not just hoping to discuss my culinary ‘cheats’, providing recipes that I use to keep the weight down. But techniques as to how I plan my meals and source food.

This really came from a Facebook post by a friend. He was discussing a report on how obesity is now Australia’s and the world biggest killer. Now affecting 2 out of 3 adults and 1 in five children 2 – 4 years. http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/australias-obesity-crisis-worsens-as-survey-shows-two-out-of-three-adults-overweight-or-obese/story-fneuz9ev-1226505251354
And he was suggesting a ‘fat tax’ of sorts. Now I did point out the initial flaw in his use of the very rudimentary BMI scale as a marker upon which he was proposing the Medicare levy be based (Medicare being the Australian health system). I also caught part of a TV report, where a group was suggesting plan packaging and taxes on convenience or foods that were ‘bad’ for us.

Personally I can see the argument that the funds of many are paying toward the treatment of what in many cases are preventable health issues. But should be have to justify our lifestyles to receive treatment? As a recovering ‘obese’ person; whilst I appreciate the idea, I don’t think that is the answer. I do not see that these have in anyway been successful in reducing the use of cigarettes or alcohol- the numbers are coming down, but I believe this has been through education, societies shift in what is socially acceptable and availability of help and assistance.

As a society we already measure and judge this broad issue in such a simplified way. There are many varied definitions of being ‘fit’ or healthly’. I measure mine, not purely by a number on a scale (though this is something that I still aspire to… years of social brain washing), or by an ideal body shape. I measure mine by both personal ability, physical achievements and by the quality of my lifestyle. Health I believe is as much a mental issue that any given individual needs to be addressed, as it is a physical one.

I am not sure I ever really discussed the topic of my mental state when I blogged here in the past. It was predominantly food based. I guess in many respects my progression and appreciation of what it means to me to be ‘fit and healthy’ has taken time to develop. And hopefully will continue to do so. I am not here to lecture or offer a professional opinion, how could I? I am not a doctor, psychologist, personal trainer or nutrients. This is my own opinion (as it always has been), a record, an opportunity to share what has helped me get to this point, or hopefully a future point in my journey. Food and health through my eyes. I just hope someone will read this and be able to take something positive away. Or (fingers crossed) offer the benefit of their opinion or experience.

So welcome back… I think we have a lot to discuss :)

No comments:

Post a Comment